Archives of Natural History online
Archives of Natural History is published bi-annually for the Society for the History of Natural History by Edinburgh University Press.
The complete collection of Volumes 1 – 46 (1936 – 2019) are now available online on the Edinburgh University Press website.
You can view a continually up-dated list of the “top five” most read and most cited papers on the Archives page at Edinburgh University Press.
Online access is free to members who have renewed their subscription for 2020. Renewal advice is given below.
If you would like to read the journals and are not an SHNH member, you are able to access the articles by payment of an access fee. Please do also think about joining the Society and also contributing to the journal!
Archives of Natural History is freely available to members of SHNH – Society for the History of Natural History (print and online).
- Members have full online access to all previous issues dating back to 1936. To learn more about membership of the Society please visit our membership page.
- Non-members of the Society are able to access articles from Archives of Natural History on payment of an access fee.
- Subscriptions to Archives of Natural History are welcomed from libraries and institutions. For more information, please visit the Subscriptions page on the EUP website.
Freely-available online are:
- Book Reviews
- Virtual Issues on the themes of Women in Natural Sciences, Voyages of Exploration (Cook & Endeavour) and Additional Voyages.
- The Cumulative Index to the journal (volumes 1 to 38 inclusive) is also available.
How to Register for Archives of Natural History online
SHNH Members are entitled to free online access to the journal Archives of Natural History via EUP Journals Online. SHNH Members please note that you will need to activate the 2020 token for continued access even if you have activated a previous token.
To activate your free access, please register at Edinburgh University Press. If you haven’t already, then follow the instructions below.
Registration – How To Register As An Individual Or Institutional User
To register with Edinburgh University Press, go to the Archives home page and click on the “Register” box in the top right hand corner.
Choose a unique user name and password and complete the registration form. You will receive an email confirming your username and password shortly after registering.
My Account – Using The Profile Area To Customise Your Online Experience
Once you have registered with Edinburgh University Press you can customize your profile in the My Account section of the site.
Within the Profile section you can:
- Update your profile information including your user name/password and address details, and account preferences
- Manage your favourite series and articles
- Sign up for Edinburgh University Press email alerts
- View saved searches
- Manage your subscriptions and online access
- Access Tokens – About Edinburgh University Press Access Tokens
Access tokens allow users to activate online access to Archives of natural history. To obtain your access token for 2018 you will need to contact EUP at email@example.com or complete the EUPfeedback form .
When you have received your access code from EUP
Log in to www.euppublishing.com
- Select ‘My Account’
- Click on ‘Access Tokens’ and key in your token reference
- Click ‘Submit’
- Click the ‘Journals’ tab to browse to Archives of Natural History. You can also sign up for Table of Contents alerts to be informed when a new issue is available online.
Please remember that you will need to log in to your account on future visits to the website to access the full text of the journal.