75th Anniversary Meeting Announcement
From Royal Gifts to Biodiversity Conservation: The History and Development of Menageries, Zoos and Aquariums, Thursday 19th and Friday 20th May 2011, Chester Zoo, UK
This international Symposium is being held in celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the Society for the History of Natural History. It is a joint collaboration between the Society for the History of Natural History, the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums – WAZA and Chester Zoo, supported by the Linnean Society of London and the Bartlett Society. The focus of the symposium is to provide a comprehensive overview of the history and development of living wild animal collections across the world. Symposium proceedings will be made available.
Invited speakers will be talking on:
- The Foundations of Zoo Biology
- The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- Living Collections in the Ancient World
- Royal and Private Animal Menageries
- Aquariums and Marine and Freshwater Biological Associations
- The Development of Regional and National Zoo Associations and Outreach
Additional themes to be covered during the symposium, for which abstracts are invited, include The History and Development of:
- Zoos and Aquariums as Charitable Organisations
- Individual and Specialised Collections (butterflies, Insectariums / Bugworlds,
- Aviaries, Vivariums / Serpentariums and Dolphinariums)
- International Zoo and Aquarium Affiliated Organisations – the importance of partnerships
- Zoos and Aquariums as Leisure Attractions
- Zoo and Aquarium Architecture and Masterplanning
- Zoo and Aquarium Enclosure and Exhibit Design – the importance of animal welfare
- Zoo Animal Welfare, Ethics and Zoo Medicine
- The Concept of the ‘Zoological Garden’ – the Importance of Plants
- Zoo Animal Acquisitions ‐ from Wild Collections to Sustainably Managed Conservation Breeding Programmes
- Zoo Conservation Science and Research in the Field
- Conservation Education in Zoos and Outreach Programmes
- Zoo History in the Making
For further information on registering for the symposium, submitting an abstract or presenting a poster, please contact Claudine Gibson email@example.com
- Information leaflet
- Registration form
- Abstract submission form
It has been arranged with Visit Chester and Cheshire -the tourism management organisation for Cheshire and Warrington – to set up an accommodation booking website for the event. Delegates are now able to request accommodation through the website and VCC will handle all accommodation bookings.
The link to the accommodation booking website is: https://www.conferencebookings.co.uk/delegate/CHSWAZA
If delegates do not wish to enter details on line, they can use the accommodation form attached, which they will need to print out, fill in and return to VCC as detailed at the top of the form.
Image: Auguste Macke, Zoologischer Garten (I). Source Wikimedia Commons. The work of art depicted in this image and the reproduction thereof are in the public domain worldwide. The reproduction is part of a collection of reproductions compiled by The Yorck Project. The compilation copyright is held by Zenodot Verlagsgesellschaft mbH and licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.