Archives of Natural History online
Volumes 1 – 43 published since 1936 are now available online via Edinburgh University Press. Online access is free to members who have renewed their subscription for 2016. To activate your free access, please register at www.euppublishing.com. If you haven’t already, then follow the instructions below.
If you would like to read the journals and are not an SHNH member, you can access the articles by payment of an access fee. Please do also think about joining the Society and also contributing to the journal!
Some articles of interest
- Volumes 1 to 9 formed the Journal of the Society for the Bibliography of Natural History, the original title of Archives of natural history, and they include “hidden gems” such as facsimiles of Colonel Richard Henry Beddome’s own copies of his articles about Indian reptiles (volume 1 part 10). Beddome’s manuscript annotations and corrections to the published articles are visible on the facsimile which also reproduced the coloured images. Image: R. H. Beddome’s new gecko, Calodactylus aureus.
- Also among the issues is the much consulted, and long out-of-print, “Papers on the Sowerby Family”, volume 6 part 6 (1974) which includes R. J. Cleevely’s bibliography of the natural history works of the family.
- 2011 was the 150th anniversary of the birth of Charles Davies Sherborn, the first President of this Society. To celebrate his anniversary which also coincides with the Society for the History of Natural History’s 75th anniversary, EUP made Sherborn’s articles for the journal freely available online as well as two biographical articles.
- You can view a continually up-dated list of the “top three” papers on the Archives page [www.euppublishing.com/journal/anh].
- The cumulative index to the journal (volumes 1 to 38 inclusive) is also available.
To access any of these, go to the listings page and then click on the volume part which you wish to access. This page will be updated as more of the issues are uploaded.
The following SHNH special publications are now available online at EUP at http://www.euppublishing.com/loi/anh
- History in the service of systematics (1981)
- Contributions to the history of North American natural history (1983)
- From Linnaeus to Darwin: commentaries on the history of biology and geology (1985).
How to Register for Archives of natural history online
SHNH Members are entitled to free online access to the journal Archives of Natural History via EUP Journals Online (www.euppublishing.com). The journal is now online back to volume 1, with 75 years’ worth of back issues available electronically for the first time. SHNH Members please note that you will need to activate the 2014 token for continued access even if you have activated a previous token.
To activate your free access, please register at www.euppublishing.com. If you haven’t already, then follow the instructions below.
Registration – How To Register As An Individual Or Institutional User
To register with Edinburgh University Press, go to the EUP Press home page and click on the “Register now” box in the top right hand corner.
Choose a unique user name and password and complete the registration form. You will receive an email confirming your username and password shortly after registering.
My Account – Using The Profile Area To Customise Your Online Experience
Once you have registered with Edinburgh University Press you can customize your profile in the My Account section of the site.
Within the Profile section you can:
- Update your profile information including your user name/password and address details, and account preferences
- Manage your favourite series and articles
- Sign up for Edinburgh University Press email alerts
- View saved searches
- Manage your subscriptions and online access
- Access Tokens – About Edinburgh University Press Access Tokens
Access tokens allow users to activate online access to Archives of natural history. To obtain your access token for 2014 you will need to contact EUP at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the EUPfeedback form .
When you have received your access code from EUP
Log in to www.euppublishing.com
- Select ‘My Account’
- Click on ‘Access Tokens’ and key in your token reference
- Click ‘Submit’
- Click the ‘Journals’ tab to browse to Archives of Natural History. You can also sign up for Table of Contents alerts to be informed when a new issue is available online.
Please remember that you will need to log in to your account on future visits to the website to access the full text of the journal.